- The Brussels-Capital Region has selected the Reyers site as one of ten priority areas, with the aim of developing residential, commercial, service and leisure functions there and simultaneously strengthening the existing economic fabric. These aims are based on the exceptional concentration of media activities in the Reyers district, as well as the strong potential for the Region of developing a kind of ‘media city’ capable of meeting the demand from companies in the sector.
- In order to do this, the government has purchased the site of the French-speaking (RTBF) and Dutch-speaking (VRT) public radio and TV broadcasters, and appointed various actors and institutions to carry out the different parts and stages of the project.
- The first step is to clarify the strategic ambitions for this site. The government tasked perspective.brussels with drawing up a Territorial Development Plan (PAD-RPA), which defines the strategic and regulatory aspects of the site’s development.
- The preliminary draft of the Mediapark PAD-RPA was approved by the government on its first reading on 7 February 2019. It was subsequently amended in response to feedback from the first public consultation, which took place between 27 February and 29 April 2019.
- The Urban Development Corporation (SAU) has been entrusted by the Brussels Government with the operational implementation of the site. It is coordinating its development, in particular through the selection of public and private operators to build infrastructure, housing, facilities and services.
- In addition, the SAU itself owns a plot of land on Boulevard Auguste Reyers, at the E40 exit, on which a key facility for mediapark.brussels will be constructed: the Frame media centre.
- Beliris, a federal body active in Brussels, has been appointed as the project manager for the development of the public spaces. Beliris is coordinating this project in partnership with the SAU and Brussels Environment.
Municipality of Schaerbeek
- The mediapark.brussels site is located in the south-east of the municipality of Schaerbeek, on the border with the municipalities of Evere and Woluwe-Saint-Lambert. The municipality of Schaerbeek is therefore an essential partner in the development of the site and is associated with every part and stage of the project.
RTBF and VRT
- The historic presence of RTBF and VRT on the site has been reaffirmed by the decision of each broadcaster to establish its new headquarters there behind their current common building, which will eventually be demolished.
- The two public radio and TV broadcasters are stakeholders in the new development of their site, which has been purchased by the Region, as a result of their new buildings as well of shared spaces and possibilities for partnerships with future training centres, schools and businesses in the media industry which will move into premises in mediapark.brussels.
- Brussels Environment, the main regional body in the field of the environment, has a close, across-the-board involvement in the development of the site.
- In addition, the institution has been appointed by the government to manage the woodland areas present on the site; in order to preserve the existing biodiversity as much as possible, these will be inaccessible to the public.
Brussels Mobility and Parking.brussels
- Brussels Mobility and Parking.brussels will work closely with the SAU to propose and implement suitable and effective solutions for mobility and parking in mediapark.brussels
- The development of mixed-purpose urban blocks, combining economic activities and middle-income owner-occupied housing, will be undertaken by citydev.brussels, which will in particular seek to attract and retain media companies by offering them buildings on attractive terms and at attractive prices.
- The Housing Corporation of the Brussels-Capital Region is the key player in the development of social housing on the mediapark.brussels site.
- BX1 will set up its new headquarters in the Frame building, built by the SAU.
- The university college HELB (Haute Ecole Libre de Bruxelles Ilya Prigogine) is developing a new building for its new school of audiovisual technology on the mediapark.brussels site, next to the future new RTBF headquarters.